Saturday 14 January 2012

Simple experience, beautiful memory.

Last night my daughter asked if I could remember the name of the village where we bought her the 'Alice in Wonderland' book when she was 5 or 6. She wanted to know because in her memory it was a beautiful place. I had to retrieve hard for that bit of memory though I finally recalled fragments of images of the place, but there wasn't any cue that helped link a name to it.

Experiences we had in the past may no longer be in our memory, yet could be remembered by others as long-term and therefore significant memories to them. Realising that I was responsible for providing this simple experience that represents in my daughter’s memory now as beautiful awed me. Furthermore, it is the working-together of all her experiences that shape her, and the memory of the beautiful ones can sustain her enthusiasm for life throughout her lifetime.

Perhaps, preferred parenting is to give our children memorable and beautiful experiences, no matter how simple they are.

We've been to many quintessential villages in England, this could be one of them. 













No comments:

Post a Comment